If you don't know what to serve for dinner tonight ...
Soups are the perfect warm-up meal. This hearty, spicy bean soup is a great addition to your Healthiest Way of Eating as the days get shorter and the temperature continues to cool.
Red Kidney Bean Soup with Lime Yogurt
Prep and Cook Time: Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- 1 TBS ground cumin
- 2 TBS red chili powder
- 1 TBS dried oregano
- 2 cups or 1 15 oz can organic red kidney beans, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lime yogurt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 TBS lime juice
- 1 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- Chop onions and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- Chop carrots and celery.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in medium-sized soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, celery, and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add broth, tomato paste, kidney beans, and spices. Bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Let cool for a few minutes while making lime yogurt.
- Make lime yogurt by combining yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro in separate small bowl.
- Blend soup. Be careful to start blender on low speed so hot soup does not erupt and burn you. And make sure you don't fill blender more than half full.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat, and pour into serving bowls, top with a spoonful of lime yogurt, and serve.
Eat to Live Not Live to Eat